02 03 pinkschmink: Today I'm Wearing ... A Chocolate Orange 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Today I'm Wearing ... A Chocolate Orange

34
Today I'm Wearing ... A Chocolate Orange


Equipment snake print shirt, Farfetch ~ Boiled wool coat, Topshop ~ Hobbs Emily trousers, House of Fraser
Marc Jacobs Polly bag, Harrods ~ Boyfriend watch, Asos ~ Cut-out hoop earrings, Topshop
Felt floppy hat (in black), Topshop (similar) ~ Michael Antonio Linden shoes, Heels.com

When I was younger, the idea of wearing orange and brown in the same outfit would have been met with a level of derision that these days I reserve for Uggs and Crocs. It called to mind hideous seventies soft furnishings and visions of grotesquely outsized lapels on Bri-Nylon shirts with terrifyingly crotch-hugging flares and death-defying platform boots.

How things have changed. Not only am I a great fan of wearing orange and brown together, but I get genuinely excited when I see a strong seventies trend emerging in any given season. Usually it's the glitzy Studio 54 influence that gets my heart racing (see Gucci A/W 2006 for the collection that still haunts my dreams), but since I saw the Zeynep Tosun show at London Fashion Week there's another side to the era that has been on my mind.

A more sporty, casual seventies girl slinked along the runway at many of the autumn/winter shows, including 3.1 Phillip Lim, Marc JacobsGucci, Givenchy and, most excitingly, at Nicolas Ghesquière's first show for Louis Vuitton. So perhaps I got dressed today paying subconscious homage to the return of a favourite trend. Or perhaps I'm just grown up enough now to know that there's more to seventies fashion than Abba ...

Labels:

35 36 37 38